Tuesday, March 03, 2009

 

Is Multiculturalism Dead in Canada?

As I was sitting in class today I couldn't help but recall an article that I read in November in the National Post (spare me - I can remember a newspaper article from 4 months ago and yet I can't remember what my chemistry prof was saying tonight in lecture....). Anyways, it's pretty interesting in relation to what we were talking about i.e. what is multiculturalism etc. The author of this article is arguing that multiculturalism is effectively dead in Canada thanks to *drum roll* President Obama of all people.
It's a really quick read and quite thought provoking....

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2008/11/11/noah-richler-look-to-first-nations-for-canada-s-obama.aspx

Comments:
Hey what did you think about the Article? I'm just curious. do you think Multiculturalism is dead in Canada because of Barak Obama?
 
I had some troubles with the article. I mean, it has some good points...for example, Obama, a black individual who probably has some roots in the slave trade, being elected into the highest office in a country who depended on the slave trade is saying something. And yes, although we already have a black, FEMALE, in one of the highest offices, we didn't make such a fuss of it because Canada isn't as well known for its involvement in the slave trade (in relation to the US).

So yes, I agree that for Canada, our Obama-moment will be when a aboriginal is elected to our highest office, as our dark history is filled with residential schools.

But to say multiculturalism in Canada is dead is a bit extreme...especially as I look around me and see people from all different ethnic groups/cultures.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?